Monday, June 15, 2009

"Tale of Two Islands"

As a Haitian-American this article hits very close to home. I know several individuals that have risked their lives to get to America. There are even members of my distant family that crossed the sea by way of a small raft for an opportunity to give themselves and their families a life that they could not obtain in Haiti. This article provided me the opportunity to revisit these stories. When we consider policies for Cuban migrants in contrast to the policies set in place for Haitian migrants it is quite discouraging. We have a clear bias towards a particular set of people. Haitians are not allotted the same privileges as Cubans because of the stigma that is attached to being a “Boat person”. I can remember the rumors about the introduction of aids to America through Haitian migrants. I found these rumors ridiculous and extremely offensive. I have been to Haiti three times in my life and I remember the condition of many of the cities I have visited. As a young boy I saw poverty, oppression and hopelessness for the first time. It was an experience that stays with me even today. I believe it is unfair how America has dealt with Haitian Migrants. I think the article “Tale of Two Islands” does a great job in exposing the heart of America and the American agenda. I can honestly say that immigrant policies are set up at the disadvantage of Haitian migrants. It’s amazing to see how resilient the majority of Haitians are in Miami but yet they are not largely accepted. Here is another instance where the demon of racism is asserting its authority over U.S. policies. America and the U.N. have inflicted a large amount of damage to Haiti’s economy and government. One would assume based upon the great suffering of the people imposed upon them because an unstable government the U.S. would give Haitians political amnesty. As much as I love this country I strongly disagree with the way the discriminate against Haitian. What I found very ironic is how Haitians oppressed and denied the same privileges as Cubans when they assisted in the civil war to free the south. I remember the stories I heard about America exploiting America and depleting Haiti’s natural resources and found it hard to believe. After reading this article, testimonial and personal research it is true. America has taken everything from diamonds to gold. I believing charges can be made on institutional racism but it will take shift in the beliefs and the attitudes of the general public. As long as the majority does not see an issue this racism will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment